Sunday, April 12, 2015

Fried Green Tomato and Bacon Biscuits with BBQ Sauced Shrimp and Grits


So I've realized that it's been far too long since I've done some cooking for this (originally) food blog, so what better way to get some creative ideas for new cooks? The BBQ Brethren Throwdowns.

This week's Throwdown title is "Appetizer and Entree Duo." I decided to dig through some cookbooks for ideas, and found these. For the appetizers, I chose to make fried green tomato and bacon biscuits.


First, I took the green tomatoes and sliced them into 1/3" to 1/4" slices.


Dipped them into flour, egg and buttermilk, and then into self-rising cornmeal, flour, and smoked salt and pepper mixture.


Them fried them in a pan of canola oil.



While the tomatoes were cooling, I threw some buttermilk biscuits on the grill. Yes, the grill, since a majority of the cook has to be grilled or smoked per the throwdown rules.



At the same time, I threw some bacon on the side burner.




Once the appetizers were completed, we started working on the entree. Dawn started on the grits and shredded extra sharp Vermont white cheddar cheese.


While she worked her masterpiece, I grilled the shrimp.


Used the left over bacon to add it to the mixture ...


and drizzled on some spicy BBQ sauce.


The appetizer and entree may not win the throwdown, but they were both extremely good ... 

until I noticed the disaster left over in the kitchen afterwards (my wife is making me footnote that the dishwasher was full prior to beginning supper).


No comments:

Post a Comment