Monday, December 22, 2014

Review: Memphis Barbecue Co.



We had tickets to see Eric Church in Gwinnett, Georgia on December 11th, so since Dawn's birthday was the next week, I planned a little preshow excursion for us. She's a big Atlanta Braves fan, so the day started with a tour of Turner Field. Since me and Melissa Cookston are BFFs ...

see :-)

... I figured we'd check out her new restaurant in GA.

As soon as the door opens you get that real pit smell of burning wood and smoking meats. Yeah, that smell you just imagined in your head that smells so amazingly awesome. To be honest, I think the exhaust for the smoker is funneled through the ceiling and is carried to the entrance. Another step through the 2nd set of doors and this beauty is on the wall beside you.


How can you tell a great BBQ joint from a crappy one? If they have a monsterous pig on their wall (disclaimer, I cannot confirm that a BBQ restaurant will be any good if they have a large pig on the wall).

We sit down and one of the most magical things ever happened. Some places will give you a basket of rolls, hush-puppies, or cornbread. Well not Memphis Barbecue Co. You get a basket of delicious, freshly-made pork rinds.


To keep from the debate of what to ordered. We went with the Pitmaster Sampler. Then Dawn throws a curveball and orders a salad ... at a BBQ restaurant ... a salad.


As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted by a salad, we ordered the Pitmaster Sampler. It comes with a half rack of ribs, brisket, pulled pork, cornbread, and 2 sides, which we picked mac 'n' cheese and beans.


It was a daunting task, but with my heart pig shirt on, I was ready.


It's not often that Dawn and I will both, for lack of better term, pig out, but when we do, it's usually just one of us and the other will proceed in laughing at the misery it has created.

Well, we were both oinkers, and absolutely cleaned the plate. I'm not sure if I felt embarrassed, or a sense of accomplishment, when the waiter came over and said "wow, I didn't think ya'll would come close to finishing this."


And now, the misery sets in ...


Although I was hating life at that time. I did notice on the menu as we were ordering that they had pork rinds to go for $4. I figured, we'll be on the road driving back home the next day, so it'd be a good little snack for the car. Little did I know that $4 got me, what seemed like, an entire pig worth of pork rinds. Don't get me wrong, I was NOT complaining, but wow what a healthy portion for the price.


If you're taking a trip to Atlanta, Gwinnett, Georgia, America ... hell, if you're reading this ... take a trip to Dunwoody. It's worth trip alone.





No comments:

Post a Comment