Friday, October 11, 2013

Review: Kyle Fletcher's BBQ


To celebrate our 3 year anniversary of being together (yes, I understand once you get married it's not an anniversary, but it still has to be acknowledged), my company thought it'd be a great idea to plan an event that I would need to be at, 4 hours away from home. 

To make sure the trip wasn't a total loss, my boss and I decided we'd hit a few BBQ joints on the trip. 

We were just about to hit Charlotte, on our way to Raleigh, and decided to look through the gps to find something to eat. He comes across Kyle Fletcher's, and we were able to figure that it wasn't too far off the interstate so if it didn't look good we could turn around. 

I'm driving down the road, the gps says we still have a little ways to go but a huge cloud of smoke boiling up from behind this building catches my eye. I tell my boss "either that's the spot or we need to call the fire department." I look back at the gps and the extra distance it was telling us we'd have to go, was because there was a median and I had to do a U turn. 

I pulled into the little bitty parking lot in my semi truck (not really a semi truck, but it was a rental truck for the trip and a lot bigger than I'm used to driving), and my boss says to me "at least we know they cook with wood." 

Now, I'm a big sports fan, and when a place is decorated top to bottom with one of my sworn enemies "swag" ... I've been known to let that alter my opinion on the place. I despise UNC (University of North Carolina) almost as much as I do Clemson, and Kyle Fletcher's is ceiling to floor (literally) in UNC posters/pictures/figures/shoes/autographs/jerseys etc etc. I apparently didn't drink my haterade that morning, because I was able to put that to the side and take the experience in with an open mind. In all honesty, it was actually a pretty cool environment (for what it was). 

My boss ordered the chopped pork plate, and I was all set to do the same, but the ribs just kept drawing my attention. I went with the half rack plate with fries and beans and a sweet tea. 

One thing about Kyle Fletcher's, they don't go skimpy on their serving sizes. My boss's chopped pork came in a basket the same size as my ribs did, and it was 1/2 full of pulled pork to the top. As you can see, they didn't pull a Bacon Bro's and give me 4 bones as a half a rack. They gave me 8 full bones of juicy tender ribs. 


I sampled some of the chopped pork, and it was really good and tender. You could tell they used a very basic rub (if not just salt and pepper) to let the pork really shine with the wood smoke. The ribs were great and perfectly cooked. I added just a dab of their sauce and cleaned my plate/basket. The fries were good, but definitely not their main focus, but the beans made up for any let down the fries might have left.


No comments:

Post a Comment