Friday, July 11, 2014

30th Bday/Review: Firebirds

Now, I know some people are all worried about turning 30, but for me, I really don't care. It's just another number, and as long as I feel ok and am healthy, I couldn't careless.

Dawn is known for giving the greatest presents (at least for me). I'm not horrible at present giving myself, but she always seems to find the one gift to put it over the top ... this year was no different. 

 She started it off by having me a surprise dinner with friends and family at Chuy's the night before. I'm pretty good at sniffing out surprises, but I had no clue. I knew it didn't make sense that her mom would want to take me to Chuy's for my birthday, but I didn't really worry over the details of it.

After suffering and waiting all day long, I finally got to open my gifts. I started with Rhett's present (yes, my dog got me a present), he got me a Gamecock leash so we can sport our favorite team when we go on walks. Then Dawn got me a new garnet and black state logo hat, a Nolan Ryan Beef & Barbecue cookbook (which has already been put to use ... don't worry, you'll see), Jack Daniel's Tennessee Rye, and my big present for the big 3-0 was ... VIP tickets to see Eric Church in Greensboro, NC. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I'm a huge EC fan, so I all but jumped through the roof when I opened that one up.   


She let me pick where we went for dinner, so I chose to go to Firebirds. It's a new restaurant in Greenville that cooks only over an open flame. We've heard great things about it, but also heard that it could be a little pricey. 

As soon as we walked through the door, we were hit with that smell that you only get from cooking over a wood fire. Immediately, I was in heaven. 

Dawn went with the Beef Tenderloin and BBQ Shrimp with mashed potatoes. She ordered her beef medium, and it was probably half correct and half medium well. There wasn't really a whole lot of pink left. Even with that, she raved about the flavor of the tenderloin and the shrimp. That girl likes her some shrimp, so if she says it's good, it's a-ok. 


Surprise, surprise, I ordered the New York Strip with fries. Usually I only eat a fry or two (I prefer to enjoy the meat that I'm paying for than the sides), but these fries were amazing. These are definitely some of the best fries in Greenville. I don't know if that's saying much, but they are. 

The New York Strip was absolutely massive. I can't remember how big it was supposed to be, but it was one of the largest strips I've ever had. I ordered it medium rare, and it came out dead on. The flavor was great, the char was great, but if I had to ding it anywhere, it would have been the huge fat strip on the outside. I know they're supposed to have a line of fat, and I usually enjoy some out there, but this had close to 1/4 inch of fat on the outside and that I just can't do.


Lets just say, the steak was completely gone (minus the fat I cut off) and the fries were close to gone. I was absolutely miserable ... but it was worth it. 

Price wise, it wasn't Applebee's, but the food wasn't either. It was a little higher than the "norm", but I wouldn't say it was overpriced. I'm ok with paying $30 for a New York Strip that is this size and cooked to perfection.

I have to ding them a half pig for the fat on my steak and Dawn's tenderloins being a little over, but neither was enough to harm the dinner experience. We will be back, and I hope it's before my next birthday.






No comments:

Post a Comment