Sunday, November 2, 2014

Teenage Mutant Ninja Pumpkins

I wanted to get this up on Halloween too, but it was a busy day, so I'm a little late getting this up.

This year, I decided to step our pumpkin(s) up a notch. Dawn sent me an email one day of a Michelangelo pumpkin. Of course I thought, OH THAT'S AWESOME!!!!! I WANT TO MAKE THEM ALL!!!!!

We run to the store one day and pick up 4 similar pumpkins. Since the costume party was the weekend before Halloween, what else to use the karts for ... a stand to spray the pumpkins on.


I went with a light green, and gave it a good 2 coats. Nothing crazy, but I did a 2nd run to make sure I didn't miss any spots. Note: you may want to wear latex gloves if you have them. The paint was very sticky and peeled off against skin, but not the gloves.


For the Michelangelo, I left it inside and taped out the mask with painters tape (it was just what I already had)


Yes, I even had to make it have the appearance of being tied in the back. It's all about the details people.


It took about 2-3 layers of acrylic paint (I went with the cheapest I could find). I tried to put a little character into each ... well ... character.

Leonardo is up front and center with a serious-ish expression, as the leader. Donatello has the rounder eyes and nerdier smile, as the brains. Michelangelo gets the big smile and wide eyes, since he's the goof ball. While Raphael gets the full mask (like the new movie) with the more angry face, well, since he's always mad.



For the first time painting, and really creating the sculpture of the pumpkins, I think they turned out pretty dang good. They were definitely a hit with all of the kids that came by to trick or treat. There were even a few kids that wanted pictures for themselves.

Happy Halloween Everyone.

Although, now I guess we're looking forward to Thanksgiving/Pre-Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment