Monday, November 24, 2014

Brisket #2

I've shied away from doing Brisket #2 for as long as I could, since I bombed the first one so badly. Well, I wouldn't say I bombed it. It had good flavor, but it was just dry (I think I cut it the wrong way).

Our neighbor 3 doors down (no, I'm not saying that our neighbor is the band 3 Doors Down), messaged me and asked if I'd want to join his friendly Brisket Throwdown. I figured I'd waited long enough and it was finally time to get back on the saddle, so I accepted. I knew if I told him I'd do it, I wouldn't be able to talk myself out of it.

We ended up waiting till the last minute to get the meat, so we had to drive about 45 minutes out to the local Sam's and pick up this baby. It was a just shy of 11lbs flat. 


Obviously since I hadn't used it but once, I still had some Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub.


Trimmed it up some and gave it a good layering of rub.


It went on Bullet Bill and I set my BBQ Guru to run around 225 degrees. I kept an eye on it for about 3 hours and then this guy took off to bed.


Got up and checked it a few times throughout the night, and it was pushing through like a champ.

Took it out and let it rest for 2 solid hours before it was time to take it out slice it up.


To help myself know which way to slice it, I took a notch out of the corner going against the grain.

The picture isn't the best, but you can see the great smoke ring I got on this brisket.3


The electric knife help make some pretty nice cuts.



This wasn't just, by far, the best brisket that I've ever made, but it ranks up there with the best brisket I've ever eaten, period. After my first brisket, I was dreading that thought of cooking another. After brisket #2, I'm looking forward to my next cook.


No comments:

Post a Comment