Friday, January 16, 2015

Movie Review: American Sniper



The movie American Sniper is based on the book of the same name. The story is about Chris Kyle, who is credited with the most sniper kills in US military history, 160. I first learned about this story when Dawn got me the audio book 4 years ago, and have been a huge Chris Kyle fan ever since. I mean, how could you not love and respect a man that did his job as great as Chris did? To serve, protect, but most importantly, save American lives.

We've just gotten home from seeing the movie, and all I can say is that I love that man even more than I thought I did before. I'm sitting here writing this post in my "The Legend" shirt, because of Chris and men like him.

I'm a firm believer that, while most of us are put on this Earth to make it go 'round, some are put here for a specific reason. I believe that although America may be turning its back on God, that God put Chris Kyle on this Earth to save American lives.

If you go to see this movie wanting to watch a high-octane, 100 miles per hour, non-stop action packed war movie, you're going to be let down. This is a movie about Chris Kyle's story, not just his tours overseas. Now, don't get me wrong, there is plenty of action in this movie and it will keep you on the edge of your seat, but just know this is about the full story, not just a few months/years.

I was listening to the radio on Thursday and heard the DJ say "American Sniper was nominated for Best Picture of the Year, but it doesn't even come out till tomorrow. How can a movie be the best movie of the year before it even comes out?" Well, the reason it can be the best movie of the year before it comes out, is because it's the best movie of the year. There's going to be movies with more "better" action scenes. There's going to be movies with more "better" love stories. There's going to be movies with with "better" drama plots. There won't be any better complete movies than American Sniper this year. Clint Eastwood directed this movie, perfectly. Bradley Cooper played this character, perfectly. It says something when the wife of Chris Kyle and his friends all see the movie and say that there were times that they got wrapped up in the movie and forgot that it wasn't really Chris.

If you've read/listened to the book and/or followed Chris' story, then you have a pretty good idea of how the movie will go. The ending is a tough one, but beautifully done.

When you go see this movie (because you will, or better), be prepared for the ending. If you've never walked out of a theater in absolute silence, and everyone around you in absolute silence (minus the sound of sniffling noses), then you're about to have a new experience in your life.

If I could do 10 pigs, I would. We will buy this movie with the million hours of bonus footage when it comes out, and I can't wait to watch every last second of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment