Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mexican Lasagna

Dawn is always giving me a hard time about how picky of an eater I am. One of her first dishes she made to get me to try new things was this Mexican Lasagna. Before this I never ate any kind of beans (well, unless you count green beans). I didn't eat baked beans, black eye peas, kidney beans, black beans ... anything. 

She made this the first time and told me that I had to at least try it, and if I didn't like it then I could have whatever I wanted for dinner. I took one bite ... then another ... then another ... then another ... then I looked down and the plate was empty. We made this for dinner because it'd been a while since we'd made it and I was craving it ... I would have never imagined that I would like something so much that had beans in it ... yuk. 

This is a really simple dish to make with only 8 total ingredients: ground beef, medium taco sauce, chili powder, cumin, cut corn, black beans, tortillas, and cheese. 

Here's the original recipe that we've modified.


Cook the ground beef til done/brown (I understand there is some pinkness in this picture. I took it before it was completely cooked, because we were doing other things.)


Once the ground beef has cooked, start adding your other ingredients. (There's no specific order)






You may want to use a larger pan than I did, because you'll need to mix everything together.


In an 11ish by 8ish pan start your base. Just like lasagna place down a layer of tortilla. To do this will require some cutting to make sure it's covering the whole base.


Add about 1/3 of the filling on top and spread.


Lay down another layer of tortilla and cover with cheese.


The add another 1/3 of the goodies.


Repeat the whole previous step until all of the ingredients have been added. Then add a top layer and cheese.


Throw it in a preheated oven at 425 and let cook for 15 minutes.



DISCLAIMER: We're having to use paper plates, because our dishwasher pump went out. 


I messed up on the cuts, so the picture isn't all pretty like. I thought I was supposed to cut it in half down the middle and then in 3rds. All you have to do is cut it in quarters and you'll have enough for dinner (for 2) and have 2 days worth of leftovers. It's a simple 30 minute cook that's cheap and serves for days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment