Monday, March 18, 2013

A Day Off Smokin' Butts

As the wedding approaches we need every nickle and dime we can get, so I decided to do another pulled pork sell. I originally started with 3, but on my way home from work the day before, I thought I'd go ahead and get a 4th to be on the safe side. 

I took Thursday and Friday off last week (had to burn 2 days before the end of the month or I'd lose them), so I woke up when Dawn did for work, and got everything going. 

The big 10+ pounder on the far left we'll nickname Joe Frazier ... no reason, just naming for fun.


Had some of my injection left over from my last cook, so injected the butts with it and then opened up my 5lb bag of Plowboys I got fro Christmas and went to work. 



The smoker gets up to temp, and it's time to get to work. I get the first butt (Joe Frazier) and 

DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!!!! DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!!!! DOWN GOES FRAZIER!!!!!

If for some reason you do not know that reference ... click here.


I have no clue what went wrong. I was coming down the back step and it just went ... 

I couldn't sell pork I dropped on the ground, so I tossed the butt. Of course once I texted Dawn the picture she asked if I just washed it off and cooked it for us ... uuuhhhhh, of course I didn't do that, because I was heartbroken over the fact that I just dropped it and wasn't thinking straight. 

Delicious, wonderful BBQ ... wasted.

Well, the other 3 made it to the smoker just fine, and cooked away. After about 3 hours, I snapped a couple of pictures. 




The weather started off in the 30s and the wind was gusting all day, so the temperature was all over the place. These ended up taking nearly 12 hours before reaching 200 degrees, and then sat for a little over another hour before I pulled them. 




When it was all said and done, after Frazier went down, I had enough to fill every order and have 1 bag left over for us to eat ... whoops.



No comments:

Post a Comment