Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Movie Review: The Lone Ranger

 
If you didn't know, today (July 3rd) is my birthday. From the moment we saw The Lone Ranger would be opening on my birthday Dawn has been saying it would be my "birthday movie". She's a big time Johnny Depp fan (ok, she's in love with him), so me being the loving husband that I am ... I refused to go see it on my birthday, and instead had been telling her we would be going to see Despicable Me 2. Of course the whole time I had all intentions of going to see The Lone Ranger, but it was more fun torturing her ... loving husband, remember?
 
The past few years Hollywood has ran the creative pool dry, and have mostly been doing remakes. With remakes you're either going to win the lottery, or you're going to go broke and be sleeping under the bridge overpass. I don't envision the people that made this movie having to warm their hands from a trash can fire anytime soon.
 
The Lone Ranger gives us a movie that we've all longed for whether we knew it or not. We all grew up hearing about the great Wild West TV shows and movies, but it seemed those shows and movies were a thing of a past ... until now.
 
Although it is a remake, The Lone Ranger gives us that classic Cowboy and Indian, Wild Wild West movie, with a Johnny Depp twist to it. Not only does it have his sense of humor that we've come to know and love from the Pirates series, but it also throws in little nods to movies past. Don't ask for them, because I don't know them all, but there were a few Monty Python and other slight hints.
 
I would give it a 5 pig rating, but it's a 2 1/2 hour long movie, so there are a few sections that seem to just be time fillers. I was falling into one of those moments, and then the end started closing in and this movie TOOK OFF!
 
We both commented as soon as we left the theater about 2 awesome parts. I won't tell you what they are, but I'll let you know what to look for when you go to see it ... and yes, you WILL be going to see it.
 
The first is during a battle, when the gun fires, glass breakings, bodies falling, and all of the other commotion, actually happen to the beat of the music. It's almost like a dance, where the dancers hit moves to the beat of the music, but this is a fight scene in a movie. I've seen a LOT of movies, but this is the first time I've ever seen this done, and it was a very nice touch. Hats off to whomever that idea was by.
 
The second part was when something took place ... was said ... was done ... who knows, I'm not telling ... but Tonto says "Don't ever do that again." It's another Johnny Depp one liner to keep an otherwise serious scene back down on Earth, and not too serious. Like I said, it's a Wild Wild West movie with a Johnny Depp twist.
 
If you don't go see this movie, you will be missing out.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment