Thursday, July 25, 2013

Noodles And Smoked Balls

Since I got the new Myron Mixon "Everyday Barbecue" book we've been wanting to replicate the Spaghetti and Smoked Meatballs recipe. It's a little different but simple meatball recipe and sounded delicious. 

1lb Lean Ground Beef (calls for 80%, but we did 93%)
1lb Ground Pork 
1/2 Sleeve Ritz Crackers
1 Egg (beaten)
1/4 Cup Ketchup
2 Slices White Bread, lightly moistened with water and torn (had to use a bun since we didn't have bread)
1 Medium Onion (or a half and dice the crap out of it if you hate onions like myself)
Salt and Pepper to preference


The next step is the most complicated, so get ready ... 

Ready? 

Put it all in a bowl and mix it together.


Ok, now I get to say balls a lot and not get smacked for it. 

To try to make as even of balls as possible we've came up with a little trick. I'll lay out a cutting board and spread the mixture out as evenly as possible. Then, take a knife or pizza cutter and cut into evenish sections. After that you can just pick that little section up and roll it up into balls. It's a lot quicker and easier than just pinching pieces off or even using an ice cream scooper. If you don't make perfect cuts, it's ok. On some of the big balls, tear a little piece off and add it to the smaller balls to make them a little more evenly. 



And here is my new Weber charcoal chimney. No, I didn't have to have a new fancy smancy Weber chimney to go with my WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain). My other chimney is about to rust out, and I like the extra handle of the Weber one ... and, yeah, I needed a new fancy smancy one. 


For the balls o' meat, it called to smoke them at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. It was raining, once again, so I had to take Bullet Bill to the front porch again (loving the newest addition to the family and the fact I can move him wherever, whenever I need to), so I was having some issues getting him up to 350 from the lack of air flow up there. However, I realized if I left the door open for a little while that the extra oxygen that way would help get the fire roaring. 


The balls went on before I reached the 350 mark so I just extended the cook time a little. 


After 30 minutes or so I flipped the balls over, and wasn't ready for a picture but they definitely deserved one of their own. 


The recipe calls for spaghetti, but we went with this spirally noodle instead. I'm sure it has a fancy name, but Dawn is out of town on business right now and can't tell me what it is.


This picture was actually the wife's idea. While I was taking a picture of the plate she said "oh my gosh, it actually has a smoke ring. You have to get a picture." 


I have to say, this is probably the best meatball I've ever had. These balls might have been small, but they were filling. I ate most of my plate and was miserably fool for the next few hours. I didn't even want to move I was so full. 

While I was eating, I did suggest that we try this recipe with the cheese from the other meatball recipe we've been doing ... cheesy Myron Mixon balls mmmmmmmmm sounds delish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment